Why Do I Need a Motor Starter?
What Do Motor Starters Do?
Starting a motor generates a substantial amount of electricity. When dealing with so much power, it’s important to have a backup solution to prevent damage and ensure safety at all times.
The contactor portion of a motor starter closes the contacts on all phases of the electrical current very quickly, minimizing the potentially dangerous effects in the event of an overload. Motor starters are sized to suit the motor and voltage of your specific application.
How Do Motor Starters Work?
Motor starters consist of two devices — a contactor that completes the circuit to the motor and an overload relay that monitors the current the motor is drawing. This overload protection device is set to a pre-determined maximum load that the motor can safely handle.
When a condition occurs that causes the motor to exceed the maximum load, the device opens the motor starter control circuit and the motor is turned off.
Learn how to choose the right motor starter today.
We Offer a Variety of Motor Starters
At PSI Power & Controls, we handle several types of motor starters:
- Wye-delta open transmission. This is a somewhat standard electromagnetic starter system designed to safely reduce the voltage in the operation of major commercial equipment. The system is suitable for and often implemented in the operation of pumps and air compressors.
- Soft-start solid state. Often used in most major commercial equipment, a soft-start starter motor is an RVS (reduced voltage starter) that performs its function through the use of fluid, magnetic forces, or steel shot to lower start-up current and control torque. Soft-start motor starters are often used in conveyor systems, generator use, and other general-purpose functions. PSI soft-starters include SCRs, overload relay, and by-pass contactor.
- Wye-delta starter OEM. A wye-delta starter system featuring sub-panel mounting, 120-volt coils, and a starter wye-delta timer system for control systems that don’t incorporate timer functions initially.
Order Your Motor Starter With PSI Power & Controls
Our full line of products is designed to meet any of your organization’s needs. Our products are industry-certified and tested for maximum performance. When you choose PSI Power & Controls, you receive:
- Auto CAD layout drawings
- Auto CAD electrical schematics
- SOLIDWORKS 3D modeling and design
- PLC programming and development
- Equipment built to UL508A and cUL508A standards
- And more
For over 25 years, our Charlotte-based company has offered reliable electrical solutions. If you’re ready to invest in a motor starter, contact PSI Power & Controls today. We’ll answer all your questions and help you choose the perfect starter for your specific application.
Not sure what equipment you need? Call 704-594-4107 today.
Learn More About Manual Transfer Switches With PSI Power & Controls
What amperage range do your transfer switches cover? Do transfer switches actually help? For answers to these questions and more, check out our manual transfer switch FAQs for more information.
Learn more about manual transfer switches when you call PSI Power & Controls at (704) 594-4107.