FAQs about Motor Starters
At PSI Power & Controls, we are often asked about our motor starters. We have compiled a list of our most frequently asked questions below. If you have a more specific question that is not answered here, please feel free to contact us for further assistance. We are happy to help!
What is a motor starter?
A motor starter is a device which connects to a motor to decrease the current at starting time and increase the current after starting the motor, providing overload protection. Motor starters help stop, start, reverse, accelerate, and protect motors.
Why is overload protection important?
Overload protection keeps the motor from drawing too much current and overheating.
What kind of motor starters do you offer and which one should I choose?
At PSI Power & Controls, we offer:
- Wye Delta open transition: This type of starter is used for large air compressors and pumps.
- Soft Solid state: PSI soft starters will always include SCRs, Overload Relay, and By-Pass Contactor. The starter will deliver a controlled voltage to soft start.
- Wye Delta OEM mounted on sub-panel: This starter is mounted on metal sub-panel for quick and easy installation.
For help choosing the ideal motor starter for your specific application, contact us. We have the industry knowledge and experience to point you in the right direction.
Why should I choose PSI Power & Controls for my motor starter?
Our full line of products is designed to meet any of your organization’s needs. All of our products are industry-certified and tested for maximum performance. When you choose PSI Power & Controls, you receive:
- Auto CAD layout drawings
- Auto CAD electrical schematics
- SOLIDWORKS 3D modeling and design
- PLC programming and development
- Equipment built to UL508A and cUL508A standards
- And more!
Order Your Motor Starter Today
For more than 25 years, our Charlotte-based company has offered reliable electrical solutions. If you’re ready to invest in a motor starter, contact PSI Power & Controls today! We will answer all your questions and help you choose the perfect starter for your specific application.
Not sure what equipment you need? Give us a call—704-594-4107!